On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:25:41 -0700 (PDT) Mark Crispin <mrc...@panda.com> wrote:

MC> How about writing a proper IMAP client that uses the delete-expunge model
MC> instead?

 My client supports both models and I use different models for different
mailboxes. For example, I use delete-expunge model for this mailing list
because I really don't need to keep the copies of the messages which can be
found in the list archives. However I do like trash model for other
mailboxes because it allows me to keep the deleted messages if I ever need
them again. Think about trash as being "archive" in this case.

MC> The world already has plenty of crappy clients that use the unnatural
MC> Trash mailbox kludge.  Trash is a user interface artifact, not something
MC> that should be inflicted upon the back end.

 I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about how could this UI be
implemented in a better way from IMAP point of view. But personally I can't
think of anything.

 Thanks,
VZ