On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:25:41 -0700 (PDT) Mark Crispin <mrc...@panda.com> wrote:
However I do like trash model for other
mailboxes because it allows me to keep the deleted messages if I ever need
them again. Think about trash as being "archive" in this case.

Why not create archive mailboxes for that purpose?

Or, better yet; why not make a client that allows you to focus
specifically on the messages you want to see all the time, while ignoring
the other ones that you keep for archive?

What prevents the server management from blowing away a trash mailbox
automatically without your consent (e.g., "the disk is full, let's delete
everybody's trash")?

Trash, or for that matter deleted status, is not a good archiving
mechanism.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about how could this UI be
implemented in a better way from IMAP point of view. But personally I can't
think of anything.

The main hangup that people have is the difficulty of visually displaying
a trashcan icon that covers multiple mailboxes without having all those
multiple mailboxes open.

I contend that this is the wrong way of thinking about it.  Whether Mac,
Linux, or PC, the "trash" is not actually implemented as a single
repository; each volume has its own trash and the trash can icon only
reflects the state of mounted volumes.

These system do not actually move files from one volume to another; they
merely move the pointers to the inode.  In the absence of a
one-file/one-message format and/or stubbing implementation (which would be
in the IMAP server end in any case), you can't do.  But you can implement
it graphically in the client.

Most users really do not have dozens of mailboxes that have active status
that needs to be constantly checked for trash.  In fact, most users have
an INBOX plus some archive mailboxes, and the latter never have their
contents deleted.  So implementing Trash as a client representation of
\Deleted status isn't as crazy as it sounds.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc