Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Cyrus Daboo writes:
> > However, I will again voice my annoyance with the fact that the
> > THREAD=REFERENCES extension does any kind of grouping based on
> > subject.
>
> Seconded!
>
> THREAD=REFERENCES is its name, so why can't it THREAD based on
> REFERENCES? The current draft's algorithm would be better named e.g.
> THREAD=COMPREHENSIVE.

Well, I don't think we can change the current name, because there is
already some deployment.  We _could_ add a THREAD=REFERENCES-ONLY or
THREAD=REFERENCES-NOSUBJ or ...  I also want to see a REFERENCES-UNSEEN
which only shows threads which contain unread messages (note that this
_isn't_ the same as threading unread messages).

This goes back to a discussion that Cyrus, Mark and myself had
previously about either documenting additional REFERENCES-based
algorithms or adding parameters to THREAD, ie:

THREAD REFERENCES (UNSEEN NOSUBJ) ...

I know that Mark wasn't in favor of doing either of these in the current
draft, but maybe its time to get another consensus now (especially if we
want to add an optional param list to THREAD).

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127