On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:39:16 -0500, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> [proposed improved algorithm]
> This should probably be done as a
> separate THREAD=XXX option.

To make things unambiguous:

I strongly support this.  My opposition is solely to the idea of breaking the
existing THREAD=REFERENCES algorithm.

And, to address the original issue, I rewrote UW imapd's subject extraction
rules yesterday to strictly conform with the draft.  The new code will be in
all versions after Pine 4.52 and imap-2002b (which were released on Thursday).
I also discovered, after trying numerous mailboxes and newsgroups, that the
only way that I could get the new code and the old code to thread differently
was with a contrived example.  "re"s do not occur inside quoted-words in any
example in the wild that I could discover.