On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
> I'm not interested in breaking THREAD=REFERENCES. I'm merely saying that if
> the current THREAD=REFERENCES is broken, we shouldn't publish it as a
> standards-track RFC.

I claim that the current THREAD=REFERENCES is not broken, and should be
published as a standards-track RFC.  That does not preclude other
threading algorithms, as anticipated by the THREAD specification, will
happen.

All threading is going to be a compromise.  For better or worse, this is
the compromise that we have, and it generally works quite well.  An
attempt to push some other compromise in lieu of the one that is already
wide will not make the situation better.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc