On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Mark Crispin wrote:
>That's like saying:
>With the current IMAP specification, if one client sets a flag on a
>message, then all other clients will forever see the flag and not know
>what to do about it.

Well, no it's not. One flag can only be set once. A mailbox can be
subscribed to twice, which does not make any sense, whatsoever.

>Huh?!?!!
>WHERE in the specification does it say that "if someone subscribes to that
>mailbox again, then the server should list the same mailbox twice in the
>subscribed list"?

Huh?!?!! ;-)

In your own RFC, 3501, 6.3.6:

      The SUBSCRIBE command adds the specified mailbox name to the
      server's set of "active" or "subscribed" mailboxes as returned by
      the LSUB command.  This command returns a tagged OK response only
      if the subscription is successful.

Adds, this means if you have foo and add foo, you get foo foo. As written,
this is completely unambiguous. If you have a set {a,b,c} and add the set
{a} then you get {a,b,c,a}. It doesn't make sense, but it's what it says.

Moreover, the LSUB command mentions nothing about removing duplicates so
one has to assume that multiple subscribed mailboxes must be listed as
they are.

This has been discussed before, and Courier-IMAP and Cyrus IMAP both
ignore the second SUBSCRIBE to foo; I specifically remember the discussion
being that with the current IMAP scheme, the subscribed-list can be filled
with junk this way.

Andy

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen