On Tuesday, December 25, 2012, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/24/2012 03:58 PM, Jeff Meyer wrote:
>
>> Again, it seems there needs to be a clearer definition of "import," as
>> not all imports are automated.
>>

> I think it depends on the attitude of the person doing it.
>
> If the mapper says "today I'll map South Sometown and I'll use some of the
> Somecounty GIS data in the process" then it's not an import.
>
> If the mapper says "today I'm going to take the Somecounty GIS data for
> South Sometown and load it into OSM" then it is.

IMHO a policy document should start with general (political) questions :
how to decide whether import is justified or not.  Then go to details like
how to do import and what to do with rejected data. This intention test
looks good one for this - if you map your area using some existing
approced sources, then go ahead. But if you import data (often "because I
can", or "because I have this nice data") then most probably you should not
do it. This can't be a rule, but should give at least good direction.

One key problem is that GIS people (like myself) are used to think in terms
of data, not about mapping, i.e. in wrong way from OSM point of view. They
are primary suspects of not so well thought through imports, so the policy
guideline should give them better understanding about basics of OSM. That
it is first of all about community and mapping, not about data.

Jaak

--
Jaak Laineste