Greetings,

Let me first start by extending my warmest thanks to everyone who has
replied to my original message regarding Cyrus capabilities to partition
into multiple independent mail servers.  After reading your suggestions,
and giving some considerable thought to what would be in our best
interest, we have decided to run Cyrus on multiple IP aliases.  This
seems to be the most common work around for the the multiple domain
problem.  The one major draw back to using this method is every time
Cyrus is updated to a new version, multiple copies of the binary will
need to be compiled all with different parameters (i.e. conf files
directory, etc.)  If you have, lets say, 4 Cyrus servers per physical
box, and 6 or so imap server, you can see what a nightmare this would be
every time a new version comes out.

One of my colleagues came up with a suggestion that consists of
modifying the Cyrus code so we can pass variables to the binary when it
is invoked.  For instance, instead of compiling Cyrus with
/etc/imap.conf and /etc/cyus.conf hard coded in, we could modify the
code to accept a variable or two when the master is invoked.  This way,
we can have 1 binary on the server, but invoke 4 masters with different
parameters (like location of imap.conf and cyrus.conf).  I guess this is
the same concept as the "-s" switch to run imaps, and so on.

Is this possible or am I totally getting out of control?  Has anyone
done this or attempted to do this yet?

When our system is up and functioning well, we plan to write some good
documentation about ways to integrate Cyrus / Linux into a "business"
environment that uses Novell and Windows for file sharing and
application distribution.

-John
John C. Amodeo, Associate Director
Information Technology and Computer Operations
Faculty of Arts & Sciences, Rutgers University
732.932.9455-voice 732.932.0013-fax