On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, John C. Amodeo wrote:

: Randall,
:
: Paying for software is really not an issue.  The University has spent hundreds

: of thousands of dollars for hundreds of copies of Novell, a site license for
: McAfee, Oracle, etc.

Sorry if my comment sounded off handed. I worked at umd.edu for 14
years, and also had those similar licenses. We never really considered
paying for the backend mail system though... Various reasons including
strong technical expertise in the area |-).

: The point here is Cyrus is such a powerful program, with an outstanding track
: record, that despite the few features it lacks at this point, you couldn't ask

: for more, in my opinion.

Yes it is quite powerful and a leader in many standards based
messaging services.

: In addition, my goal is to see all of the Exchange server go away,
: and the only way to do that is to prove there is a better system
: out there and put it to work.

There are still a couple features in Exchange that make it more
competitive in certain markets. They can often be worked around
though.

: Having one that's free makes it that much easier to convince
: others to switch.

At the price for Exchange servers there is lots of room, even for
those with support or licensing fees.

: Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I will keep it in the back of my mind.

Glad to dialog with you.

Randall