Jeremy Howard wrote:

> Ken Murchison wrote:
> > There might be a little bit of pain involved for large sites to migrate
> > to IMAP 2.1/SASL 2.x, but there aren't any showstoppers that I'm aware
> > of.
> >
> > If CMU can do it (and yes, they are using Sendmail 8.12.x with SMTP
> > AUTH), then any site should be able to do it.
> >
> Could you tell us a little more about that experience? How is CMU set up? 2
> separate SASL libraries (one of each version)? How is sasldb handled between
> the 2, if at all? What are the main sources of pain likely to be seen in the
> upgrade, and how can they be mitigated?

I can't speak for CMU, since I'm not employed there, and wasn't involved
with the upgrade.  Larry and/or Rob would be the ones to describe their
upgrade process.

As for my experience, I was, and have been, running SASL v1.5.x
(Sendmail) and SASL 2.x (IMAP) concurrently on my production server
(which is also my dev box) since before IMAP 2.1 was released.  Since I
don't need sasldb (none of my clients use anything other than
PLAIN/LOGIN), I am using the same PAM module for both libraries.  SASL
v1.5 talks directly to PAM, and SASL v2.x uses saslauthd).  If you don't
need sasldb, or don't have a large number of clients which used shared
secret mechs, this is a trivial config.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127