IMAP clients like Netscape whose delete function (by default?) tries to
copy a message to a Trash folder before removing the message from the
current mailbox will also exhibit this problem if the user quota is
exceeded. Do you have a default quota set?

Users find this frustrating because even if they are aware their quota
is exceeded they can't easily fix the problem by deleting some messages.
The easiest solution I know of is for them to move some messages to a
folder that's not on the IMAP server to get their accounts below quota
again.

There is a script called quotacheck on the cyrus-utils site
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyrus-utils) which will send users an
e-mail letting them know when they are near or exceeding their quota
limits. This is nice because you can define what that message says, and
include instructions for overcoming various problems they might run
into.

-Jules