That's not what they are telling my teachers. I'm being told that this
has to be a very specific problem that fewer than 1% of students are
eligible for.

________________________________

From: info-tech-ow...@aea8.k12.ia.us
[mailto:info-tech-ow...@aea8.k12.ia.us] On Behalf Of Donna Sennert
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:30 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: Re: [info-tech] Books converted to Audio...

Students who are NIMAS eligible - meaning blind, visually impaired,
physically disabled or have an organic reading disability, qualify to
receive textbooks, core reading material in the format this is best for
them.  It may be e-text, audio, Braille or large print.  The Iowa Dept
of the Blind does the conversions free for you.

Other students who don't qualify under the Chaffee amendment or NIMAS,
still by law, are to have their textbooks the first day of school in the
format that is best for them, but the schools are responsible for
creating/supplying the materials.  www.bookshare.org is a good starting
point.  Or as Jackie said, contact the publishers.  They are under a lot
of pressure to create digital/audio textbooks right now by everyone.

Here is the state website that talks about it.  http://trueaim.iowa.gov
<http://trueaim.iowa.gov>

I am also attaching the powerpoint that was just sent out that breaks it
down with links to the appropriate pages.

Please contact me if you have questions.  This unfortunately is the
"world" I have been living in this past year.

Donna