Bruce-
What are you wanting/needing the computers to do at the K-5 setting? Are you looking for research and "game/skill building" type things? Without knowing your replacement needs/curricular needs -- I am just going to share what we are looking at . . . and as I facilitated a session with various elementary staff last night on some possibilities of some things we could be looking at/think about funding sources for-- they were intrigued:

I still think there needs to be the "lab" setting in our case (because a 1:1 is probably not in our near future) in order to use for productivity and other software specific needs. However -- an iPad or iTouch will take care of a majority of basic level computer use/needs -- such as internet research, (iTouch runs the iLife app -- word processing, presentation software, and has an adapter to connect to a projector) . . . but the BIG educational value are all the apps available for teachers to use either whole class activity type instruction or as center based instruction (currently we try to find machines that will run the old OS 9 software as well as online activities). There are all kinds of apps that will serve PK-5 students -- many free, and most of the rest 99ยข. Math, reading, spelling, handwriting, etc. -- drills and reinforcement. And how awesome for students to be independently using these devices for skill development specific to them. It doesn't matter if you are Mac or PC . . . but when I watch my own children (1st & 4th grade) engaged doing what has in the past been "boring" flash card type drills - but now ask to use their Touch to "play" an app . . . and use Safari --I just see a lot of potential for a feasible way to get more devices out to students in our situation.

If your current computers are still in useable shape . . . I just think the "bang for your buck" that will allow for more technology in the hands of kids and suit a majority of your needs . . . this is an option. Sorry for the randomness of my thoughts - hope it all makes sense.
Jackie