Le 14/07/2016 à 01:31, ma...@goos-habermann.de a écrit :
> - It was just a style decision made by the editor at the time. No specific
> reason. I like it as it is, but of course there are many ways to display
> something.

You're right… The same underlining is used on the Download pages. But
HTML for styling is bad.

> - There are. There are *a lot* more books. And they are language-specific.
> And I wouldn't want to have them all listed there (or rather, I wouldn't
> want to have hundreds of links to amazon or some publishing house).

We could have different books for each language on the page. I don't
think a French person will be really interested in books written in
English if books in French also exist and are good. We could specify
that one should visit the page in another language to get a list of
books in that language.

> I'd rather like to promote books by people who have a connection to the
> Inkscape community, so if you want to ask around on the Inkscape mailing
> lists, and gather a few current ones that were written by people who
> answer, that would make a nicer list.

You're right, that would be great.

> I think we once tried something like
> this - maybe with some research you will find the discussion, I don't
> remember every part of it now.

https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/search/?q=books
I browsed a bit, useful information seems hard to find.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm the more appropriate person to ask on
mailing lists — I don't feel ease at it. I fear looking demanding with
all my remarks: ‘your software is buggy’, ‘your texts are full of
mistakes’, ‘your wiki was organized and coded with feet and bottom’,
‘there's that little problem hard to correct but which really annoys me
in this or that reference’ — and now ‘hey, I'm new and I wonder why you
left your Books page empty like that’, while my work has not been of
high value till now, it might be too much. I'll wait.

> - That's fine. It would be nice to only do that when the 'project' of
> getting new books on the page is finished, so translators don't have to
> translate it in many steps, but only in one.

Yes, of course.

> I had actually had that exact link listed on that page, at one time.
> But was told that we don't want to advertise the publisher, so it was
> removed.

I understand it's a problem. I already found Packt Publishing in the
news several times. If it's the only publisher we talk about on the
Books page, it's even worse.

> There are a lot of books about Inkscape, but I think the problem is that
> if none of us have reviewed, or even seen them, it's hard to justify
> promoting them.

True. The authors are often not well-known by the community? (This is sad.)

> We had a looong discussion about where to put the Keyboard Ref and
> Command Line Ref, because they are neither books or manuals.  Then we
> had a loong discussion about changing the name of the page.  None of the
> discussions produced a result that we all found acceptable, so
> everything was left as it is.

Well, if you want the Command Line Ref, type ‘man inkscape’ (Windows 10
will offer you a UNIX shell soon so this should work), and to access the
Keyboard Ref, find the menu item in the Inkscape software.
The command line ref is a UNIX ‘man(ual) page’, hence it's a bit of a
manual. I think it's acceptable like that.

> I do think the underlines could be dropped from the 2 Refs.  It probably
> didn't not look quite as imposing as it does now, since we changed the
> h3 style.

Yeah, it was a line of 1px height instead of 2px.
I removed the <u></u> on the Books page and translations; I'll now deal
with the Download page and the Windows subpage.
--
Sylvain