From: Maren Hachmann
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:35 PM
To: brynn ; Vardenis Pavardenis ; Martin Owens ;
inkscape-docs@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-docs] Update "Video Tutorials" section in website

Hi Brynn and Vardenis, and everyone else,

just answering Brynn's questions now.

Am 13.01.2017 um 02:44 schrieb brynn:
>        That's assuming it's allowed to have 2 words in a single tag?

- Yes, that is possible.

> Everyone,
>
> -- I would suggest that whoever uploads the video should have watched it
> all the way through.   Sometimes a video gets uploaded (to YT or vimeo)
> which is broken - either the video or the sound craps out halfway
> through, for example. Or sometimes they're just poor quality video or
> sound.

- This is possible for videos where 'we' post the link, but not for
videos uploaded by 'just any' user. We can maybe add a way to mark
videos as 'featured' or 'recommendable' (e.g. by uploading it under a
specified user name, or into a specific gallery, or by a mechanism that
would still need to be added or repurposed), but letting users decide,
by upvoting, is much easier on our staff resources.

> Should we discuss and post guidelines for tutorials that we want to....I
> can't think of the right word?  Not exactly "bless", but we're
> essentially recommending or approving them.  And it seems like if anyone
> can load anyone else's tutorials, there should be some kind of quality
> control.

- All we may be checking for in 'anybody''s uploads is that they do not
contain spam, or are intentionally misleading. For the rest, if your
neighbour makes a little video, where he presents his favourite Inkscape
tool to the world, he's welcome to link it from the Inkscape website.

> When I was thinking of doing it, all that stuff is already in
> my mind.  But if all kinds of people will do it, I wonder if there
> should be some guidelines?

- The guidelines are in the community CoC. A video is just a resource
like any other one.

> Either that, or new ones will need to be
> moderated (by a moderator watching or reading the whole thing, judging
> its quality, and possibly tagging).  And it seems like the person who
> uploads it should bear that burden.  Moderators will already have a lot
> of work to do, and watching new videos will take more time.

- Yes, people who upload a video link, or artwork, or tutorial, or
anything are responsible for their uploads. Moderator(s) currently have
a very light job, there's little to do, fortunately. It takes me less
than 15 minutes a day to check all uploads, and unpublish or delete,
deactivate user accounts if suitable, or add more or less encouraging
comments and questions.

> I wonder if it might be better for 1 person to be responsible for
> judging the skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)?  Because
> people are going to be all over the place with that, and I fear that
> those ratings will quickly become useless (if they aren't consistent).

- If someone disputes the difficulty level of a video, they can always
ask for it to be changed in a comment. It's not a strict science, so
even when a single person does it, it may feel very different for
another person. For the videos that we 'feature', if we decide to do so,
the input of everyone who is interested in watching the videos will be
taken into account for setting the level. I doubt it's a topic we'll
want to have long discussions about, though.

>        I'm not sure if there will be some kind of limit on the number of
> videos, or tutorials in general?

- Links are tiny in our db, so this won't be a problem.

>        So if I'm understanding how it works better, the only difference
> between clicking on a text link, and clicking on a video in the gallery,
> is that it can possibly have a thumbnail image in the gallery?  (Oh!
> When contacting the author, I would ask if they want to provide a
> thumbnail.)

- That, and that the video can be watched while you stay on the Inkscape
website.

>        So that's why there's no copyright issue.  We aren't actually
> uploading their videos.  Instead, we're....well, it would be sort of
> hotlinking, except for YT does allow that, since they even provide the
> embedding code themselves.

- It's called embedding :)

>        Well, something still feels weird about this kind of routine.  I
> assume it takes more resources - bandwidth, space, cpu or other? to do
> it using the gallery, than just a simple text link.

- Possibly. On the upside, people can sort to their liking, use the
upvotes of others as recommendations, and use a search, they can
comment, interact. It's so much more interactive and community-building
than a list. Also more visually attractive...

> I guess I'm just old
> fashioned.  I'd rather see nicely organized text, lists or table, where
> potentially hundreds of tutorials can be linked on one page.

- Maybe :) Those kinds of pages are rare nowadays. People aren't used to
see them a lot anymore.

> The
> visitor can quickly scan the page for the category they need.  Rather
> than a gallery entry, where you can only see....what is it, 20 at once.
> And you have to search for your catagory, where if you don't already
> know the terminology of what you're looking for, you won't be very
> successful finding it.  And the website speed.....well, I hope we get
> more space sooner than later.

- I hope so, too. And more RAM :)

>       If and when we get more server space, could we host our own video
> tutorials?  Or is it never in the plans?  I think it would make the
> website even better.  (And of course, not depending on other websites
> for content is a plus.)

- That's difficult to do, because video files are so large. Also, we'd
get more people to find them if they're hosted on a website like
youtube. And most uploaders use those public services anyway. Uploading
twice is a lot to ask, it takes a long time to upload a video, depending
upon your internet connection.

Hope this helps a bit,
Regards,
Maren