Hi Brynn,

Most of what you say is right.

> Well, something still feels weird about this kind of routine.

It's perfectly normal for the internet. It's just like putting links
into a spreadsheet instead of a text document. We have more flexibility
with the spreadsheet as it's DATA, rather than text, which must be
reformatted manually every time.

> I assume it takes more resources - bandwidth, space, cpu or other?

To host our own? Yeah, it's 300 times more pressure than a text file
and 20 times more pressure than a large image.

We'd need a server FARM, rather than a single machine. So since we can
embed and link to youtube we do that. Wven my own videos will be on
youtube and I'll be generally deleting any large videos that might be
uploaded by other people since as an administrator I draw the line as
hosting video directly.

Of course there may be future exceptions, but I feel this is a fairly
good baseline rule.

> to do it using the
> gallery, than just a simple text link. I guess I'm just old
> fashioned.  I'd
> rather see nicely organized text, lists or table, where potentially
> hundreds of
> tutorials can be linked on one page.

That's the elegance of DATA, we can turn the links into a list and
design a page for the content that's disconnected from the actual
content. So management of which videos becomes a parallel job that
ANYONE can do, and page design becomes something that web designers do
in code.

The DATA can also be indexed, so text searches and drill down
categorisation become possible. Overall it's much better to have this
sort of thing in a SYSTEM, than to have it in a manually curated text
file.

> Or is it never in the plans?  I think it would make the website even
> better.

In this case, there's no clear benefit to hosting our own. Only costs
and burdens to us. Youtube (and others) so a fine job allowing
embedding and handle many hairy issues for us.

Our job is to integrate well enough to make it worthwhile for people to
list their tutorials on the website. I'm hoping the new link function
will make that easier.

Best Regards, Martin Owens