(long-ish)

Vardenis,
        I think it would be ok to make some simple updates to that page.
Because I don't want to start on the uploading process (search for tutorials,
contact authors, review tutorial, tag, upload) until we get the forum issue
finally settled.  And at this point, who knows when that's going to happen.
        But since anyone can do it, Vardenis, maybe you would want to help on
this project, instead of updating the Video Tutorials page?  Maybe you can pick
out what you think are the best video tutorials, and "upload the links"
yourself?  (One of us can show you how, if you need help.)  You wouldn't have
take on the whole thing yourself.  Maybe just a few or several that you think
are "must have".  Whatever you have time for.
        I guess it would be polite to contact the authors?  Also, don't forget
vimeo.  There are a couple of really good tutorial authors there.  Use my page
to help find them, if you like.
        Also, please tag them well.  I would probably tag the main tools that
are used in the video.  If the video produces a particular image, as its main
goal (as opposed to teaching a technique) put that in a tag too, such as "shiny
button", "extruded text", "wireframe globe", etc. If it's a technique, tag that
(for example, "pattern along path" or "interpolate", etc.).  And of course tag
"video".
        That's assuming it's allowed to have 2 words in a single tag?

Everyone,

-- I would suggest that whoever uploads the video should have watched it all
the
way through.   Sometimes a video gets uploaded (to YT or vimeo) which is
broken - either the video or the sound craps out halfway through, for example.
Or sometimes they're just poor quality video or sound.
-- I would suggest there not be any very confusing sections, sections that go
too fast, or that gives incorrect information.
-- I would suggest Not to upload videos with only music in the background.
There are SO many videos (and text tutorials) around by now, that we can easily
afford to be picky, and still have more than we can use.  Narration definitely
preferred.  Note that jabiertxo would be an exception :-D
(-- I would like to add a note to all of Nick Soporito's that what he routinely
calls "The Arrow Tool" is really the Selection Tool.  But I'm not sure if that
would be too much work. I've even mentioned it to him, but he's not willing to
change.)

Should we discuss and post guidelines for tutorials that we want to....I can't
think of the right word?  Not exactly "bless", but we're essentially
recommending or approving them.  And it seems like if anyone can load anyone
else's tutorials, there should be some kind of quality control.  When I was
thinking of doing it, all that stuff is already in my mind.  But if all kinds
of
people will do it, I wonder if there should be some guidelines?  Either that,
or
new ones will need to be moderated (by a moderator watching or reading the
whole
thing, judging its quality, and possibly tagging).  And it seems like the
person
who uploads it should bear that burden.  Moderators will already have a lot of
work to do, and watching new videos will take more time.

I wonder if it might be better for 1 person to be responsible for judging the
skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)?  Because people are going to be
all over the place with that, and I fear that those ratings will quickly become
useless (if they aren't consistent).

        I'm not sure if there will be some kind of limit on the number of
videos, or tutorials in general?

        So if I'm understanding how it works better, the only difference
between
clicking on a text link, and clicking on a video in the gallery, is that it can
possibly have a thumbnail image in the gallery?  (Oh!  When contacting the
author, I would ask if they want to provide a thumbnail.)
        So that's why there's no copyright issue.  We aren't actually uploading
their videos.  Instead, we're....well, it would be sort of hotlinking, except
for YT does allow that, since they even provide the embedding code themselves.
        Well, something still feels weird about this kind of routine.  I assume
it takes more resources - bandwidth, space, cpu or other? to do it using the
gallery, than just a simple text link. I guess I'm just old fashioned.  I'd
rather see nicely organized text, lists or table, where potentially hundreds of
tutorials can be linked on one page.  The visitor can quickly scan the page for
the category they need.  Rather than a gallery entry, where you can only
see....what is it, 20 at once.  And you have to search for your catagory, where
if you don't already know the terminology of what you're looking for, you won't
be very successful finding it.  And the website speed.....well, I hope we get
more space sooner than later.

       If and when we get more server space, could we host our own video
tutorials?  Or is it never in the plans?  I think it would make the website
even
better.  (And of course, not depending on other websites for content is a plus.)

Thanks,
brynn