----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick LeBoutillier" <patrick.leboutill...@gmail.com>
To: "Sisyphus" <sisyph...@optusnet.com.au>
Cc: "David Oswald" <daosw...@gmail.com>; <inline@perl.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2011 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: Strategy for improving install success of Inline::CPP

Rob,

It looks to me like %config is populated with the actual contents of
the config file,
so $config{languages}->{$o->{API}{language_id}} will never exist at that point.

Damn ... so my patch would have the config file unlinked and then re-created *every* time a script that uses that config file is run. We don't really want that to happen.

Looks like if the config doesn't contain the current language, you
need to recreate
it and try again. Then if it still doens't exist, give an error.

Yes, that's what I was hoping my patch would achieve - by checking in advance whether the current language was in there or not. But if it puts the cart before the horse, then it's of somewhat limited use ;-)

I'll try to come up with a patch for you.

Thanks - that would be good.
David's not the only one who has come up against this problem. I don't know if your Inline::Java ever fails with cpan testers because of this, but the Inline::Python maintainer has also been bitten by this. That was why I stuck in a 'REWRITE_CONFIG_FILE' config option for module authors to use in their test scripts - to force the re-creation of the config file. But like David says, while that (probably) solves the issue with the cpan testers, the user may subsequently still come up against that M19_usage_language error when he runs his own scripts.

One feels that, in this day and age, this issue should be handled a little better than is currently the case.

Cheers,
Rob