I can't make technical sense of which of the 8 approaches are "awkward," in
your analysis.  I have my own analysis, but the document does not do an
evaluation on "awkwardness".

The underlying problem was identified in Section 13.1 "Abuse Logging and
Penalty Boxes" of RFC6269, "Issues with IP Address Sharing",
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6269#section-13.1.  That was an INTAREA
document.

Hence, that is why the analysis document is also an INTAREA document.

My view is the penalty box problem described in Section 13.1 of RFC6269 is
real.  My view is the penalty box problem will continue to grow so long as
there are IPv4-accessible servers and so long as there are IPv6 clients
(NAT64) or IPv4 clients accessing those IPv4 servers.  There appear to be
different views on the size and trajectory of the problem (getting worse
versus getting better).  Perhaps discussing those views would be beneficial.

-d