From: to...@strayalpha.com [mailto:to...@strayalpha.com]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2021 7:33 AM
To: Templin (US), Fred L <fred.l.temp...@boeing.com>
Cc: Dino Farinacci <farina...@gmail.com>; int-area@ietf.org; Dirk Trossen
<dirk.trossen=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Side meeting follow-up: What exact features do we want from the
Internet?

Fred,

Having a mechanism that *can* be used at any layer to address fragmentation
isn’t the same as solving the MTU issue.

Issues that complicate this are:
- not all layers employ that mechanism or any other
- too many ‘layers’ peek into payload contents for message dispatch (of one
sort or another)
               - which means that if the fragmentation doesn’t copy enough of
the payload, that dispatch breaks
               (lack of transport port numbers for IP frags, lack of HTTP
headers for web message frags, etc.)

So whether it’s because solution are incomplete or not widely adopted, or both,
it’s not solved.

Joe

—
Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com<http://www.strayalpha.com>

On Dec 3, 2021, at 6:37 AM, Templin (US), Fred L