—
Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com

> On Dec 3, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Templin (US), Fred L <fred.l.temp...@boeing.com>
> wrote:
>
> Joe, I was going to let this slide but this is the most words you have spoken
> me in a single message in many years.

Sorry - my day job keeps me quite busy….

> What AERO/OMNI enable is lossless and
> adaptive packet sizing to determine the best-performing size for a given flow
> *even if that size exceeds the path MTU*. I think this honors the past works
> that
> you seem to hold as sacred – both from yourself and from others.
>
> What more do you want?

As a mechanism, nothing. But that mechanism has to be widely deployed and
arguably available at multiple layers. I wish we had an approach that didn’t
have the same kind of notion of MTU as IP, but rather more like Ethernet, as I
noted before - which would obviate the need for frag/reassembly except at the
uppermost app layer.

Joe