Thus far we have discussed that implementation of type checking for arrays
would be too costly from a performance perspective and that there is no good
solution that is not extremely complicated to implement.

Given that, can we consider an alternative?

ALLOW the use of a syntax for typed arrays — whether it be type[] or [type] —
but only validate that it is an array and that the "type" is in fact a type,
but don't actually validate that each element is the correct type.

This would allow those of us who want to start documenting specific usage using
type hints to be able to do so instead of what we currently have to do is
PHPDoc one way and type hint with "array."  It would also allow IDEs like
PhpStorm to add support.

Is this something the PHP community would consider?

-Mike