On 24/01/2020 19:22, Mike Schinkel wrote:
Really expensive checks like this belong at the static analysis stage. And yes,
it would be amazing to have a static analyzer built into PHP, which is
basically what you are asking for here,
Expensive checks would not be a problem if they could be run once during OpCode
generation without affecting day-to-day code generation, right?

I think you're both saying the same thing here. During OpCode generation, no run-time information of a particular code path is available, only what can be logically deduced from the source code itself - and that's exactly what static analysis means.

I imagine the reason static analysers are generally run as a separate step rather than just before execution is because then you _really_ don't care about performance, and it's more convenient to get the results on demand, rather than them appearing in your server logs.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]