From: Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2022 2:56:07 PM
To: internals@lists.php.net <internals@lists.php.net>
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Undefined Variable Error Promotion

On 18/02/2022 12:31, Mark Randall wrote:
> I would claim that the unary operators behave slightly different, if
> it were a case of cooerce to zero, the behaviour of null++ and null--
> would be expected to be the same as operating on 0, but it's not.
>
> null++ is allowed, but null-- returns null, and its value afterwards
> is null.
>
> https://3v4l.org/Bnb2D

It is "--" that is the odd one out here, not "++". Every other
arithmetic operator in the language treats null as equivalent to 0.

As far as I can tell, the fact that "$a--" behaves differently from "$a
-= 1" is an implementation bug that's been around so long it's become
documented behaviour. I tried to propose changing it, but the reaction
degenerated into personal abuse, so I abandoned it.

>> If anything, it's the fact that $a++ is NOT a special case that means
>> it will be affected by this proposal.
>
> It is intended to be affected by this proposal.

I didn't say it wasn't intentional, I said it wasn't special; the exact
same behaviour applies to about a dozen operators which have to read the
current value before writing.

Concatenation, for instance, treats null as an empty string, so this
currently works (with a Warning) even if $message is undefined:

$message .= "Another thing happened\n";

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins