Hey Larry, Hey Jim.

On 29.11.23 21:40, Larry Garfield wrote:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2023, at 6:48 PM, Jim Winstead wrote:
Hi (again),

A quick re-intro for those who don't know or remember me: I'm one of
the original PHP Group members, mostly active during the time of
horses, buggies, and the transitions from PHP/FI to PHP 3 and PHP 4. I
worked for MySQL through their acquisition by Sun (and then Oracle),
and was responsible for a lot of the community/development
infrastructure there that grew out of what we had done with PHP
(mailing lists, bug tracking, the documentation comment system).

Anyway, one of the ways I've been getting back into the PHP community
after a long time away is through people on Mastodon and following the
#PHP tag there. Recently someone[1] brought up that there was no link
from PHP.net to the PHP Foundation so that people and organizations who
wanted to (financially) support PHP would even know where to look. I
submitted a PR to the web-php project to add some text and a Donate
button to the front page of PHP.net.

Derick suggested that I bring it to internals@ because of the politics
involved. And certainly, since I've been out of the loop for a long
time, I have to admit ignorance of where those may sit. But from my
perspective, it looks like the PHP Foundation is the most sensible
place to direct this energy, and worthy of it.

I'd be happy to shepherd an RFC on this. Since almost everyone in the
PHP Group seems to have been inactive for a long time, I know there's
not really a process in place for this sort of non-technical community
discussion and decision making, so the RFC process may be the best way
to handle it now.

Thanks.

Jim

[1] https://phpc.social/@ViejoViajero/111381912606384803

Hi Jim.  Welcome back. :-)

The PHP Project today is in a very weird place, strategically.  Officially, it
has no leadership, voting is open to over 1000 people, all decisions are made
by voting of whichever 20 of those people show up at any given time, and even
the servers we have and GitHub access is managed through good will and good
luck and good relationships between informally key people.  The legal authority
is held by people who no longer have project involvement (like yourself, until
today), which somehow hasn't bitten us yet.

(Whether that is a good or sustainable approach is a separate question I won't
go into here.)

The project (meaning, the rough consensus of those who post on this list a lot and those with
server access) has long tried to avoid "endorsing" any particular PHP user-space project,
or company, or organization, or anything else, because of the (valid) fear that the weight of PHP
"endorsing" some project would skew market usage.  (The notable exception being Docuwiki,
which has been used for RFCs for many years.)  This even extends to stand-alone composer libraries,
or composer itself, even when their usage would make the code for the decreasing number of servers
we maintain ourselves smaller.

 From the project's POV, everyone is a volunteer.  In practice, there's a
half-dozen or so people who are paid to work on PHP either part or full time
(mostly by the Foundation, but also Zend), but that gives them no *official*
special authority.  (De facto, who knows.)

All of that is to say that the de facto consensus has been to run screaming from
"endorsing" the Foundation as an organization, which is why Derick likely
suggested bringing the topic up here for discussion as it would be a change of cultural
direction, not something to be taken lightly.

All of that said...

I think the Foundation has proven itself valuable and beneficial to the project
and community, and I for one would absolutely support an RFC to officially
recognize the Foundation as a sponsoring organization to which people should
give money.  Yes, it's a cultural change, but it's a cultural change that we
really do need to make.  We no longer have Zend or JetBrains as an informal
sugardaddy; instead, we have the Foundation as a clearing house for smaller
sugardaddies (as well as big players like JetBrains and Zend).  And that is a
very good thing!  That is the reality on the ground, and we should absolutely
recognize and support that.

I would even support an RFC that goes one step beyond that and not only officially recognize the PHPFoundation as a sponsoring organization but also transfers the Copyright on PHP from the ominous "PHP Group" to the PHP Foundation.

I suppose that is actually nothing that an RFC can do as I imagine that everyone from the PHP Group needs to support this and even an RFC wouldn't legally be able to change anything in regards to that.

But it would be a strong signal to transfer the Licence from a group of individuals that by now probably have only a very small interest in what happens with PHP to an entity that is actively supporting PHP and influencing the way PHP evolves.

Happy to help in any way to make this happen.

Cheers

Andreas

--
                                                              ,,,