On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 3:25 PM Paul Dragoonis <dragoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 3:21 PM Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2023, 10:13 PM Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > You may mention https://github.com/FriendsOfPHP/pickle
>> >
>> > which supports pecl.php.net pear format,  composer like support, and
>> > conversion to composer format.
>> >
>> > I did a website as well as a test bed and we had a long with the
>> composer
>> > team what would be the best way to integrate it. That's something that
>> > became possible with composer 2.x, which now widely used. Similarly we
>> > discussed the idea to create a packagist dedicated to extensions.
>> >
>> > That would be, imo, the best option to date.
>> >

>> > The current code may need some updates for php8 but nothing difficult or
>> > requiring big changes.
>> >

>> there was also a draft rfc while we were thinking to propose to bundle it.
>> But we then decided to follow the composer's packagist philosophy instead.
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/pickle
>>

> Hi Derick,
>
> Thanks for creating the google doc for us, it's really easy to contribute
> now, and I think I'll use this same approach for php.net/docs
> modernization approach.
>
> I came here to write about Pierre's Pickle project, but he replied whilst
> I was mid-writing this email :-)
>
> I'll add comments onto the Google Doc.
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

Hi Derick,

I've added my comments, for now, in the first part of the document.

As for the latter points in the document, such as json structures and so
on, I think it might make sense to complete the Pickle evaluation, as a
first phase thing, because the way Pickle is designed may influence how
packages are structured.

I'm very enthusiastic to hear how this topic evolves :-)

Have a great day <3

Many thanks,
Paul