On Mon, Dec 11, 2023, at 9:46 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:

> Yeah, I understand. And I feel the same. But if there is no registry (a
> goal), then there is no way to find out which of your extension version
> support a specific PHP version, without checking every tag in your
> repository. That's not going to be fast.
>
> cheers,
> Derick

See, I think I disagree on this point.  Having a registry is table-stakes for
package managers these days.  Composer, npm/yarn, whatever Python does this
week, Cargo, Bundle, Maven/Gradle... a packager isn't complete without a
registry.  The one exception is Go, and its approach is... just a mess, frankly.

Whether PECLtng piggybacks on Packagist, self-hosts using something like Satis,
or does a home-grown thing, I don't think a neo-PECL without a registry is a
viable and sustainable way forward.  That needs to be in the initial design.

--Larry Garfield