JC>>> Maybe we can give extensions a way to indicate that they're Unicode
JC>>> compatible, and assume they're not if they don't.  Non-compatible
JC>>> extensions will not be loaded and produce an error.
JC>>
JC>>Not to hijack the topic, but if we are going to do something like this
JC>>why not also provide these sorts of flags for things like extensions and
JC>>thread safety?

I'm not sure I have understood what you were meaning, but we have
thread_safe and debug flags in extension structure, so I thing the good
way would be to add one more flag - e.g., unicode_support - to this
structure, and make ZEND_EXTENSION macro to set it to 0, and new
ZEND_UNICODE_EXTENSION() to set it to 1. So, by default all extensions
would not support Unicode. If you want it to support unicode you (if
needed) fix whatever needs to be fixed and then replace ZEND_EXTENSION
with ZEND_UNICODE_EXTENSION.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/ +972-3-6139665 ext.115