On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 18:47 +0300, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
> Ah, now I see, so you propose along with "compiled in TS" to have
> "actually works in TS" flag. Only problem here is that extension author
> may probably not know if it works in TS - TS support is much more
> complicated than unicode support usually, especially when dealing with
> external libraries. But generally it can be useful too.

I'm well aware, however I think even if this flag did nothing but
generate a warning it would be useful in both encouraging extension
maintainers to verify the TS of their extensions and informing people
when they try to use extensions in that environment. Perhaps it would be
best if there were a few flags ZEND_THREAD_SAFE, ZEND_THREAD_UNSAFE,
ZEND_TS_UNKNOWN. Compiling PHP with TS enabled and UNKNOWN extensions
will generate a warning "this might be unstable", trying to use PHP
threaded with UNSAFE extension would just blow up. By default all
extensions would be set to TS_UNKNOWN and changed as maintainers can do
it.

John