wishlist> input filter extension (including some element of user wishlist> control)

Will it be used _instead_ of $_POST and $_GET? Honestly, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to implement it like PECL extension does. Filtering individual variables is, in my opinion, a wrong way to treat user input.

The way I do it on my sites:

1) Call dispatcher parses request variables to find out what to do. This is done before request filtering.
2) System loads the filter that correspond to the target action.
3) If _any_ of the request variables are invalid, than system does not perform the action. Instead, it outputs message, stating which field was filled incorrectly. 4) If all variables are correct, than system makes an array of "clean" variable (i.e. only ones that were checked) and passes it to some function.

Simplified example:

$filter = array(
    'name'=>'/^[\w\d]+$/',
    'zip'=>'/^\d{5}$/',
    'phone'=>'/^\d{7,16}$/',
);
try {
    $input = filterInput($filter);
} catch (InvalidField $e) {
    echo $e;
    die();
}

Besides, is it really necessary to make input filtering a part of the language? It's a very high-level feature, and implementation may vary according to the needs of the developer. Plus, it's perfectly doable in pure PHP. In fact, I would go as far as removing session handling functions from the "core" language too. Such things would better fit a framework or CMS.

My two cents, anyway.