On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 10:27 +1100, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> Alain Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:08:16AM +1100, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> >
> >> From a bigger perspective, the reason we prefer people to not use the
> >> PHP name for their projects, especially modified versions of PHP itself,
> >> is that in the extreme case we want to avoid someone releasing PHP 7 on
> >> us.  That would confuse a lot of people.  For better or worse, if
> >> someone is using PHP they are using code we have control over, so when
> >> they report a bug or describe a problem we have a pretty good idea about
> >> how to go about fixing it.  If they are using a heavily modified version
> >> of PHP, then it becomes much harder for us to figure out what is going
> >> on and by asking people to come up with their own brand for such
> >> modifications it becomes obvious to everyone involved that there is a
> >> different codebase involved.
> >
> > It is a difficult problem and we need to take care before adopting a stance
> > on it, look what happened with the Debian firefox/iceweasle debacle.
>
> It's not really up for discussion.  The decision was reached some 8+
> years ago with the adoption of the clause in the license which is quite
> explicit.

I always found it strange so many projects use PHP in the name. PHPBB,
PHPArchitect, PHP-Eclipse, PHPAccelerator, PHP Nuke, PHP Kitchen...
Sounds like PHP should have been trademarked so that these projects
couldn't legally use the acronym without the consent of the PHP group or
some other oversight group. I mean, PHPBB doesn't exactly help with the
security image of PHP :/

Cheers,
Rob.