# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2007-01-23 08:59:46 -0600:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > php.net distributes programs that violate the PHP license: e. g. PHPUnit
> > or PHPDocumentor (see http://pecl.php.net).  If php.net is ok with
> > ignoring the license terms (and has been for several years), does the
> > license still mean sh!t?
>
> Um wrong,  phpDocumentor *EXPLICITLY* wrote php group and asked for
> permission to use php when we first switched to the php license years
> ago.  Get your facts straight before posting rumors.

If I recall the discussions from several years ago correctly, the provisions
to protect "PHP" were meant to prevent proliferation of programs written in PHP
and called PHPthis of ThatPHP.  So even if a special deal has allowed you to
use "PHP" to endorse or promote PHPDocumentor, it is against the spirit of the
license if not against the letter.

I'd like to get permission to use PHP in the name of my MuchBetterDocumentor,
where do I apply? ;)  http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php#5

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.