Andi Gutmans wrote:
I see no value in making compatibility breaks in 5.x and not in the next
major version. As it is we drive a lot of our users crazy. We already
agreed this is a 6.x thing.
IMHO one good reason to start a new branch for 5.x would be the ability to get rid off register_globals and magic_quotes in the 5 series without having to wait for PHP6 to come around.

It seems to me that there are even more people around with their own agendas today. The PHP6 'plan' is looking good, but do we have an ETA? Personally I've stopped bothering with all the changes to PHP5 and 5.1.6 is working nicely for me, so my next step WOULD be PHP6. For those of us who have already 'dropped' register_globals and magic_quotes in our code, forcing people who have not yet had time to make the move seems a little heavy handed. PHP6 will need a major porting exercise, so keep it until then.

As for phar? It sounds a little like PDO. No one has time to work on the Firebird PDO driver because we still need the main driver to provide the functions PDO does not support. Proper discussion and development of elements that are planned to become main stream would be nice, and not the apparently current method of 'I'm doing this in the next release because I want it!' Do we need phar? Is it fully operational on all platforms? How will the currently registered dependencies be addressed? IF it goes into the main distribution presumably the installers are going to be extended to support it's server requirements. Is that appropriate 'mid cycle'?

It WOULD be nice to spend some time inside the PHP code base, but at present all spare time seems to be spent monitoring and testing all the changes to the releases and always playing catch up.

PHP6 is the next release - PHP5 should now be tied down and put on the same basis as PHP4 before we end up with even more private initiatives creating even more mayhem :(
If people want these changes why aren't they working to get PHP6 out?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL