Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> Sorry to interject, but just a quick slightly off topic note.
>
> In your earlier e-mail you've said that
>
> -----------------
>
> I actually don't have a problem with 95% of PHP 6 installations turning
> off Unicode support and this being the default setting for ISP's.
>
> Full Unicode support in an application is a big commitment and it will
> take quite a bit of work.  I just don't think that many people will
> invest the time and effort into doing this, but at the same time there
> will be large applications and services that have full control over
> their server settings that will make use of it.  Think Flickr, Yahoo,
> Facebook, etc.
>
> -----------------
>
> Since 95% of installations will not be using PHP6 (php6 without unicode
> is pretty much a slower version php5) for whatever reason,
> we need a common version for the other 95%. I think it is inevitable
> that there will be 2 continually developed versions of PHP out there,
> one for people who need unicode support in the way that is envisioned by
> PHP6 and one for people who don't need it.

Well, PHP is going to evolve and get more features and performance
enhancements.  Those are all going to go into PHP 6 and above.  People
stuck on PHP 5 won't see any of these, so I don't see PHP 6 without
unicode as just a slower version of PHP 5.  Namespaces and some of the
other PHP 6 planned features are probably quite interesting to a number
of people some of whom may not be interested in Unicode.

-Rasmus