Sorry to interject, but just a quick slightly off topic note.

In your earlier e-mail you've said that

-----------------

I actually don't have a problem with 95% of PHP 6 installations turning
off Unicode support and this being the default setting for ISP's.

Full Unicode support in an application is a big commitment and it will
take quite a bit of work.  I just don't think that many people will
invest the time and effort into doing this, but at the same time there
will be large applications and services that have full control over
their server settings that will make use of it.  Think Flickr, Yahoo,
Facebook, etc.

Since 95% of installations will not be using PHP6 (php6 without unicode is pretty much a slower version php5) for whatever reason, we need a common version for the other 95%. I think it is inevitable that there will be 2 continually developed versions of PHP out there, one for people who need unicode support in the way that is envisioned by PHP6 and one for people who don't need it.