IMHO the big difference between the 4.x to 5.x migration and the one from 5.x to 6.x is who do the changes benefit. I think Rasmus made a very true and correct statement, PHP 6, who's main offering (at least right now) is unicode support is mostly for the 3-4% of the user base inside large companies like Yahoo that need to deploy multi-language applications and have full control over their environment. For the average joe, PHP 6 is not needed because as a rule they develop for 1 locale, which is something PHP can already do quite well, if the #s of PHP based sites are to be taken into account. This means that there is absolutely nothing of value that the average use has to gain by moving from 5.x aside from drop in speed, which I am sure will be a winner for hosting companies and guaranteed BC breaks. From that perspective, I think PHP 6 adoption will be very slow, even compared to the luckster 5.x adoption rates, which only in the last year have began to pickup steam.

Given that it is the case I think PHP 5 will be supported for a very long time and eventually may even take a life of its own simply due to the large user base it will have, that has nothing to gain by moving to PHP 6. Keeping in mind that aside from unicode any other features/additions of PHP 6 could be easily ported to PHP 5 by one who is interested in them.