It sounds like your libraries are definitely oriented towards working with binary strings, rather than Unicode strings. So, I am not sure why you have unicode.semantics turned on then. If you turn it off, you will get backwards compatibility with PHP 5. And if you do that, you can still create and work on Unicode strings, programmatically.

-Andrei