A few months ago we agreed that we will give our users the choice of
both modes. The burdon of maintenance has mainly been on us btw as the
majority of the differences here are in the Zend Engine and the
extensions don't have as much work associated with them.

Here's my proposed way of figuring how to make migration easier. Port
the following applications to PHP 6 and let's see what we can learn from
it:
- mediaWiki
- SugarCRM
- Drupal
- Wordpress

I don't think we can have more of a reality check than actually going
through this exercise and understanding the issues. As I mentioned from
the small work we have done up to now it seems like there really is no
migration patch except for applications to be almost completely
rewritten when unicode_semantics=on. I don't think this is a feasible
way to go. But if volunteers can work on this porting and it allows us
to fix some things (if they are fixable) then that would change the
situation.

I believe that people who actually do this exercise and want to have a
migration path will understand that there's no other way except to
support unicode_semantics=off. Btw, most languages deliver Unicode in
this way and it works pretty well.

Andi