Andi Gutmans wrote:

Here's my proposed way of figuring how to make migration easier. Port
the following applications to PHP 6 and let's see what we can learn from
it:
- mediaWiki
- SugarCRM
- Drupal
- Wordpress

IIRC Wordpress is a good example of bad source code to fix. Drupal would be a good example of a PHP4 style fairly procedural app to port. mediaWiki also seems like a worthy cause since its one of those apps that would actually benefit quite a bit from unicode support, but I guess you are talking about porting with unicode==off, right?

SugarCRM would be a good example of a gigantic horrible horrible source code to fix and I am not sure if I would put it on the list considering the limited open source release they do. I think it would be cool of they would do it themselves or sponsor whoever is doing it.

We also have an SoC project where someone is implementing a PHP6 version of Jaws.

regards,
Lukas