On 7/17/07, Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hmm I don't quite understand what bad code vs. good code plays here.
Wordpress is one of the most popular applications out there so it's got
huge value to our community. I bet there's a huge amount of PHP
applications who's source code is of the same quality or worse. Anyway,
the issues I have seen would also be relevant to what you call "good"
code but again, when it comes to compatibility, I don't quite know why
that will play a big role.

Using PHP4 as a base to test the compatibility of PHP6 is a bad idea.
The entry point should be PHP5+ (even if the troubles begin between
5.1 and 5.2).

Having apps running on 5.2 with E_STRICT without notices would be a
good indicator about how it will work with php6 without unicode (or
php 5.3 for php6/Off .... and php6 with unicode only).

I am talking about porting to both unicode_semantics=off and on. This
will give us a good understanding of the difference of the modes and
where we're at. I bet most people who are voicing their opinions have
actually not tried to write a sizeable application with PHP 6 and also
tried to run an existing one on PHP 6  (unciode_semantics=on).

I did. And please (for god' sake...), can you stop to make bad
assumptions about what other knows or not?

With all my apps and I'm well aware of the work I will need to port
them. But this work is required as long as I'm interested in Unicode.
Unicode off? No interest sorry, I do not care about Namespace for my
existing apps.

Don't get me wrong: I love them but I don't consider this feature as
critical for my _exisiting_ applications. They work without since
years, they will continue to work without a couple of more years.
Using Namespace will require more work anyway.

I can also do some performance testing in our
performance lab once we have both working. I haven't yet mentioned how
companies building high-performance sites would probably take a huge hit
by moving to Unicode to the point where I think they will not adopt for
a long time and then will be faced with the choice to migrate off of PHP
or bite the bullet. With some of the companies I know that have huge
server farms adding 50% capacity (or whatever the number is) could be a
good enough reason to migate off as they are paying huge fees for the
servers...

50% increase sounds off base. But I did not bench php6 yet. When all
the new features are implemented, it will make more sense to work on
the performance problem. For now, it is simply premature.

Gruß,
--Pierre