>  From the low end user perspective I think this would be great from
> another POV. Let's imagine for a second that Wordpress will only work
> with unicode semantics off and that phpBB will only work with the switch
>   "on". What if someone would want to run both on a shared server?

from httpd.conf

<Directory /var/www/example.org/www/phpbb>
   php_admin_flag unicode.semantics on
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/example.org/www/wp>
   php_admin_flag unicode.semantics off
</Directory>

Code written to work in unicode.semantics = off, can work in
unicode.semantics=on. It just has to deal with functions that expect
binary strings instead of PHP5 strings. Other side effects of
unicode.semantics=on can be switched off without breaking backwards
compatibility.

--
Tomas