Hi Lester,

On 8/3/07, Lester Caine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ard was amongst the list of people who could not see any need to develop a
> second driver since the php_interbase one IS working fine. It would be nice to
> build a Firebird version against the modern client, and do away with the need
> to build a legacy client to allow it to work. That IS in the pipeline, but as
> yet no-one who uses Firebird/PHP in production has seen any need to spend time
> on a more limited PDO driver ;) Ard had built a lot of capability into the
> driver, and has added all the hooks for an fbird port already for a split,
> which is probably now due given the extensive work Firebird has received in
> the version 2 builds, and the new service facilities that it would be nice to
> support directly. But even the existing php_interbase handles FB2.x without a
> problem.

That's nice and I'm sure Ard's work is highly appreciated by the
firebird users. But I completely disagree with this strategy (mysql
follows it too). In the long run you will simply loose more php
"market" in favour of databases with good PDO support.

I'm not saying that PDO is perfect (it is not), but pdo adoptions is
growing and to be supported by PDO becomes more and more a must.

I would to see more databases developers helping the PDO developers to
improve it, to add what they need to write good drivers. It will be
all benefits for the PHP users and for the DB developers (if they want
more customers/users).
</utopia>

--Pierre