portable as possible. To create a portable application for PHP 6, you have
to consider the two different unicode.semantics scenarios AND the
possibility that the switch, for some reason, might be turned on or off at
any time in the future. Even if you don't care about Unicode and/or have
never heard about it, that is very important for you.

I really don't see, however, how removing the switch is going to make your life easier. So, we'd have PHP 5 and PHP 6, and once you'd want to support both (you couldn't afford not supporting PHP 5 for many years from now - many still support PHP 4) you have exactly the same issues. So if you don't deal with them, you'd just say "we don't run on PHP 6". Is it better than saying "we run on PHP 6 only with that specific setting"?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]