Hi Andi,

Am 21.08.2007 um 21:32 schrieb Andi Gutmans:

If there's an overwhelming support for removing the switch then I guess
that's where it is. I still think it's a mistake and we are risking a
big split in the user base going forward but time will tell. Long term
PHP may not recover from that split unless we truly manage to help the
most popular PHP applications to make the leap. They have been some of
the biggest drivers behind PHP adoption, probably just as much as the
technology itself.

FWIW, I agree. We at TYPO3 will switch to PHP6 / Unicode-only in the near future. And that means a few 100.000 of PHP developers are affected by this
decision.

At the same time we will maintain our current branch of TYPO3 which will only run with PHP5. In our opinion if someone wants PHP6, he must upgrade to the
TYPO3 5.0. If he needs TYPO3 4.x, he's got to be satisfied with PHP 5.

robert