If there's an overwhelming support for removing the switch then I guess
that's where it is. I still think it's a mistake and we are risking a
big split in the user base going forward but time will tell. Long term
PHP may not recover from that split unless we truly manage to help the
most popular PHP applications to make the leap. They have been some of
the biggest drivers behind PHP adoption, probably just as much as the
technology itself.

The burden of maintenance will definitely be higher. Right now we have
to identify what features we think need back porting to PHP 5.3 which in
my opinion looses a lot of good energy which could go into futures but
that's where we're at. The PHP 5 user-base is strong, and growing and
will require a lot of these features.

I still think that the community and internals@ should still invest
significantly in making migration as easy as possible and making clear
what the performance attributes are. As I said, I'll be more than happy
to pitch in when the time comes in running benchmarks and trying to
figure out if a good migration methodology/scripts can be done. There
are also some backporting of features which may make it easier for
people to do a slower migration like (binary) cast (would be a no-op)
and some other things. Still need to think about this further but there
may be some things that can help.

Andi