Hi,

Ok, so I think its becoming clear that BC is not the main issue we will be addressing with the unicode switch. I know Zeev's mantra that BC is not binary, but from the people that have posted feedback on the topic from actual experience it seems that making code work on PHP5 (and even PHP4) as well as PHP6 is possible with a bit of work, but without a rewrite.

So at this point the main argument can only resolve around performance. So the question is how much performance does a user gain by turning of unicode in PHP6. We might be able to figure this out without porting an actual application. Maybe with a few synthetic benchmarks, along with some code analysis (maybe for 3 different categories of applications: data processing intensive, web blog, database heavy application)) of how often particularily slow functions are called in an average application, we could extrapolate a ball park figure of what kind of slow down to expect.

regards,
Lukas