On Sunday 09 September 2007, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> Its been about a week since RFS for features to go into 5.3 has gone
> out and while there was not a "flood" of ideas there is a substantial
> list of key changes people would like to go into this release. I've
> compiled a list of all of the suggestions I've received, they are
> listed below in a form that will hopefully make it easy for people to
> vote their yeys and nays. My hope that we can reach an agreement
> within 1-2 weeks so 5.3 can be branched and work on it can begin.

Response from a random PHP guy who doesn't work on the engine itself (so take
with appropriate quantities of NaCl):

 1

> 2) Symlink the intl extension from PECL, but leave it disabled by
> default as is the case with all extensions dependent on external libs

I have no opinion.

> 3) Apply the Late Static Binding Patch

-1, unless we can guarantee no BC breakage with 5.2.

> 4) Implement David's Circular Garbage collection patch

I am not qualified to offer an intelligent opinion.

1

> 6) Remove safe_mode, register_globals and magic_quotes

-1

These must die, but that's also a huge BC break, even if those are already
unrecommended.  That would almost certainly slow adoption by shared hosts,
which means that 5.3 would have a 5.0-like adoption curve. :-)  Save the code
breaking for PHP 6.

> 7) Introduce mysqlind library into core and use it as a backend for
> PDO and mysqli extensions (possibly enabling them by default)

0

I have not tested it personally, but I'm all for stuff getting faster.  I
would recommend making it a simple toggle with default no for now, until it's
more battle-tested in the field.  Change the default in 5.4, perhaps.

> 8) OpenID enabling patch for OpenSSL and PHP 5

I have no opinion.

1

> 11) Merge the zend_arg_info const'ify patch

I have no opinion.

> 12) Merge the GCC 4 -fvisibility patch

I am not qualified to offer an intelligent opinion.

> 13) Switch for disabling/enabling materialized cursors in mysqli

I have no opinion.

> 14) Link phar extension from PECL into core (possibly enabling it by
> default)

I have no opinion.

> 15) Merge Matt's ZEND_SIGNED_MULTIPLY_LONG() optimization patch

I am not qualified to offer an intelligent opinion.

> 16) Introduce new php.ini files parser/scanner + CGI/FastCGI?
> "htaccess" style ini file support

I have no opinion.

1

> 18) Introduce concept of "strict classes" that do not permit dynamic
> property creation

0

I think I missed that discussion, so I can't say anything useful here other
than please make such classes optional, not required (or inherent upon using
E_STRICT).

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson