Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

10) Split off deprecation from E_STRICT into E_DEPRECATED

0. Why do we *need* it again?

E_STRICT is about general coding style that we feel should be encouraged. Its sort of the comp sci teacher in a box.

E_DEPRECATED is things we drop are replace. People that need to retain compatibility to earlier minor versions of PHP will likely have to ignore these, as often the reason why something was deperecated is that we added a new shiny alternative that was not there before.

Without it, we mix 2 different concepts, we also make it needlessly hard for library maintainers to leverage E_STRICT. As a result library maintainers have the choice of either jumping to every new minor version as the minimum requirement or more or less ignoring E_STRICT all together.

regards,
Lukas