On 30.11.2007, at 00:09, Steph Fox wrote:

Stas - we don't even know what they're planning to put into CVS. Just

And waiting couple of days for the explanation is of course not an option.

But opening up a module in the php.net CVS repository that php.net contributors are excluded from without discussion is?

Right .. and there is still nothing published. The "complainers" are definitely the ones to point to as the "first to shoot." Anyways the definition of a "soon" let alone "few weeks" is getting stretched by now.

That being said, from all I have heard the CLA thing is not something that only IBM is pushing in this context. There are multiple companies that are involved behind the scenes, including MySQL AB. And yes MySQL AB also has a CLA, so does ez Systems. The key question is about the patent clause, not about the copyright. Here the question is what exactly I as a contributor promise. Do I promise that I own and grant licenses to all the relevant patents or just that if I happen to own any patents that cover the contributed code, that I also grant a license. The former would be unacceptable by my standards (and by pretty much everyone I have talked to on the matter), while the former seems to be ok (while still being a hinderance for some people who are employed by larger companies) to stop/hinder patent trolls.

regards,
Lukas