Also, it will allow PHP applications to recover more gracefully from this sort
of error.

A properly designed PHP application that already has global catch blocks and
some 500 error pages will have this sort of
error come under that same error handling process rather then give an ugly
blank page.

I think it will make PHP look more professional altogether.

[Ahm: Also new here on the list :-)]